Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Closed Debit Card is Still Being Hit By Thieves

So.

This morning I got up to look at my account online (I do this about every 15 minutes now - I've turned into a nut.) I'm typing so mad my hand is flopping around on the keyboard like a beached goldfish. I promise to come back later and clean this up.

There's the check for $135 I wrote to myself yesterday to get my money before MEETIC and Regions could.

Balance: $1.18.

Good.

Whoa! What's this?

INTERNATIONAL SERVICE? For 65 cents?

MEETIC? For $21.69???

New balance is $21.16 in the hole!

And here comes Regions, bless their nasty, gangrene-laden hearts, to slap me around the room and charge me ANOTHER $35 NSF FEE -new balance: $56.16 in. the. hole.

Even after they know I'm being robbed by thieves in a far-off foreign land, they assault me with their fees.

Looks like Regions is getting more out of this than MEETIC is.

Yes it's a - check card purchase. Huh. MEETIC must've gotten up early a few weeks/months/years ago and started running approvals on my account that were dated to land only after the check card was actually closed - and the completely incompetent boobs at Regions are too idiotic (or - here's a sickening thought - calculating) to be "unable" to find the lurking pre-approvals in any of their tables anywhere.

Somebody in that company can fix this mess - they just don't want to. Are they intending to just wait until I die, then fight my estate for the mounting fees?

I'm on my way to the bank again.

Why these monkeys won't program a system that will clearly display ALL approvals to both their customers AND the front-line employees is beyond me.

Any 14-year-old programmers out there who'd like to volunteer at Regions, give them a hand over the weekend and fix their systems?

Go look at this web site: www.badregions.com.

If you have an account at Regions, and if you don't pull it after reading this site, you deserve what's coming - and it most certainly is coming.

I'm off to spend yet another day of my vacation chasing international thieves, Regions, and my money. I just hope I can come up with enough cash to get a glass of water later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you told your new bank, First Tennessee, to "check the box" to DISALLOW your debit card to approve a transaction that will cause your account to go into overdraft. Banks never tell you this, therefore, in my opinion ALL BANKS SUCK! They actually want you to go into overdraft so they can charge more fees. Banks don't make money on the interest they earn from loans. Banks make their money from fees. This is why they let you make debit card transactions when you have NO money in your account. They will also clear checks you have written overnight when you are already in overdraft... more fees.

Better get them to "check that box". Of course, you may have to find a supervisor who can find this little box on their stupid screen. Either that, or take time out of your day, again, and drive over to the bank and speak to a human in person. Make them give you a printscreen after they "check the box" in case you need it in the future.

Anonymous said...

The banking industry, a large lobbying force, has probably legally created some sort of itsy-bitsy tiny printed disclosure they mail to you after you open an account. It is doubtful they will ever be forced to verbally disclose to you, while you are in the process of opening an account, that your new debit card will allow you to go into overdraft unless you specifically tell them you don't want this little "security feature". I'm sure they market it as a security feature after the fact, and after they charge you all those FEES.

Heck, what would you do if you were almost out of gas and your bank account was in overdraft. The bank will say "You would still want to be able to use your card to buy $2 worth of gas right? And, sorry about that big $38 NSF fee."

And, no they probably won't refund the $38 fee just because it was only a $2 purchase.

Keep $5 cash stashed in your wallet for these low fuel emergencies. It is cheaper than NSF fees.

Shelly Cargill said...

I'm embarrased to say that I've known this feature existed, and chose to have the overdraft "protection" just in case I accidentally screwed up my account.

I figured that the bank was going to charge me if I went into NSF status anyway, why let the vendor do it to me as well? At least I could get the charges honored and only owe money to the bank.

To rip off Dave Ramsey, I'm paying some serious "stupid tax" right now.

No more. Shelly's a whole lot smarter now, and I'm doing my best to educate friends and family.

Interestingly, when I pull up my Regions account online, it shows that I have an overdraft limit of $0.

When I look at Jill's screen after she pulls up my account, it says my OD limit is $500.

They sure saw me coming...

Anonymous said...

Poor Jill - Too bad they won't update her screen.